We woke up and were careful to not get too excited about the weather, but ultimately it was sunny and dry all day! After breakfast cappuccinos and I had another cornetto, we walked to the Colosseum. Here's the glorious Tiber River and Tiber Island basking in the sun:
We arrived at the Colosseum for our 9:40 am 3 circle tour that Amanda booked. This allows access to more levels! Our guide, Barbara provided simple explanations of history as we entered the arena, went to the first level, and to the top level. Here are some photos at various levels:
Here are some views from the top level of nearby Palatine Hill, the arch, and Roman Forum:
As a throwback, a family picture from 1992:
Afterwards, we went to Palantine Hill, the site of ancient palaces and connected to the Roman Forum. We enjoyed the lovely views - especially of the Colosseum, the gardens, and the ruins:
We exited Palantine Hill into the famous Roman Forum. As we walked through the Roman Forum, we enjoyed chatting about the sites of vestal virgins, temples, and the many columns. We saw the site where Julius Caesar was cremated and learned many other notable facts about the forum. Here are a variety of columns:

Also, here's a throwback picture of my family in front of the forum:
We exited and walked up to Capitoline Hill to Piazza del Campidoglio, where there are 3 palaces and more notably, a square and steps designed by Michelangelo. Also here, we saw a statue of the she-wolf and the twins Romulus and Remus, the legend of which Rome got its namesake. Here are some photos:
At this point, we're right next to the Vittoriano Monument which commemorates the first king of Italy who united the country. In my mind, it was a much larger and elaborate Lincoln Memorial. They had a few exhibits, including an extension of the Milan World Expo regarding Korean dining. Here we received samples of Korean treats and I tried to act Korean:
As we left the monument, we were able to see the soldiers who guard the tomb of the unknown soldier, also honored by an eternal flame. Here are a few perspectives:
There's also one of the largest equestrian statues in the world. Here's a photo of it and a view of the rotary in front of the monument (just like DC):
Nearby was the Trajan Forum and the Trajan column. Apparently, the frieze on the column tells the story for Remus and Romulus and can be unraveled to the length of two football stadiums!
We then walked over to a cute neighborhood called Monti to a restaurant called La Carbonara. Here I enjoyed the namesake and Amanda had an excellent pasta as well with tomatoes and pistachios. At the restaurant, we planned the rest of the day to make sure we squeezed in the latest sights on our last full day in Rome.
Near the restaurant was the St. Peter in Chains where the church holds the supposedly original chains that bound Peter. Also here is Michelangelo's Moses statue which is in front of Pope Julius II's tomb. Moses apparently has horns, because in an incorrect translation of biblical stories, the word for "rays" can be translated into "horns". Oops. I guess the Vatican Museum audio guide should consider re-editing the fact that Michelangelo had an excellent grasp on the Bible. Here are a few photos of Moses:
And St. Peter's chains in the altar:
We then tried to go to the Mouth of Truth to potentially recreate the famous scene from Roman Holiday with Audrey Hepburn and Gregory Peck. Unfortunately there was a long line - so here's a photo of the sculpture and a throwback photo from my 1992 family trip:
With only about 2 hours left in the day before sites closed, Amanda and I split up. Amanda ventured to the Protestant Cemetery where poets Shelley and Keats are buried. I went to Laterano via the #3 tram to see the Basilica of San Giovanni. This is the first Basilica of Rome and was where the Pope was based prior to St. Peter's Basilica. Now it's where the Bishop of Rome is seated. It was easy to find as there was an obelisk in the plaza. The church is beautiful - a few photos below:
The front doors are originals from the Roman forum. I also enjoyed the children's choir that was singing - hopefully you can see and listen to the videos:
Across the street were the Holy Stairs. Apparently, these are the steps Jesus walked on, was transported here, and a chapel was built at the top. The marble stairs are now protected by oak wood and is considered a pilgrimage site. You are supposed to go up the stairs on your knees. I indulged in the experience. 28 steps doesn't seem bad, but I forgot I had these trivets on my hiking pants to allow them to become capris, which was very painful, but I made due. Other pilgrims kneeled on pillows and handbags.
When I first started there weren't many people, but when I looked behind, there was a whole crowd. Also there were a few slow pilgrims - so I followed a nun up the stairs. It was like I was following an ambulance in traffic! Here's a photo before I went up and as I was leaving:
I returned to the same tram and was passing by the San Clemente Basilica and decided to get off. This 12th century church was built on top of a 4th century church that was built on top of a 2nd century Mithraic temple. This 3 tiered complex really gives you insight on the original ground level of Rome.
I then returned to the tram - in the middle of the ride back, you switch to a bus to follow the same tram line to Trastevere which was a little confusing, but very easy.
Back at the apartment is where I met Amanda and rested before our final dinner in Rome. We ended up at Lucia in our neighborhood. We ate lots of vegetables, Cacio e Pepe, panna cotta, fruit, and pictured below are veggies and oxtail. The service was great and the restaurant was adorable.
Rome, you have redeemed yourself today! We're sad to go and there's more to see, but Amanda and I agree we have conquered your city!
No comments:
Post a Comment