Tuesday, October 3, 2017

Another European Strike

So when I was in Belgium in 2014, there was a one day strike and a lockdown of tourist sites. Today, another strike due to the response to the referendum vote on Sunday for Catalonia to separate from Spain and the police response at voting polls. As such, again, we were locked out of all tourist sites, our restaurant reservation at Adrià's Bodega 1900 (I wasn't able to get reservations at Tickets this time), but also very limited public transportation as well.

Side note: I recommend every U.S. traveler to register with the state department which provides alerts to U.S. citizens traveling abroad through their STEP program. STEP provided alerts throughout the situation and knows where the registrants are staying or have emergency contact info on file. 

As such, we slept in and relaxed in our apt and after midday, we headed out. There had been massive protests, but by the time we had left the hotel, the streets were empty of cars and buses and waves of people would walk by. Here's one shot when it ebbed:


There were also helicopters flying over head policing the area:


Amanda and I eventually met up and spent the afternoon together and did a little Gaudi walk through the neighborhood. Here's Casa Batlló, designed by Gaudi in 1904:


Here's Casa Mila, also known as La Pedrera, built between 1906 and 1910 by Gaudi:


Here are some cool lamps in front of La Pedrera with mosaic seating:


And finally Casa de les Punxes or Casa Terradas, which is not Gaudi, but by Josep Puig i Cadafalch which is considered "emblematic of Catalan Modernism":


After our walk and architectural selfie series, Amanda and I then relaxed in her hostel terrace with tea and cookies (very Amanda) and just had bestie time. We met up for dinner after my nap and we ate at a tapas restaurant around the corner and celebrated her last night in Europe. 

All museums being closed, restaurants and many stores on strike, and practically no public transportation today. I'm hoping we'll still be able to fit in what we originally planned. I'm faced with this sign in our hotel lobby - and although this is my 2nd time in Barcelona and love this city, I'm looking for it to step up these next two days for some "good time" and "wow happiness". 

No comments:

Post a Comment