Saturday, November 11, 2017

Bryce

Today, we visit Bryce. On our way to the park which took over an hour, we got pulled over by a good looking cop who decided to give Steven a warning. For the win! And when we arrived at the park, and since it was a Veterans Day, the entrance was free! Double for the win!

We decided to drive the length of the park because we overshot the Visitors Center (again), and ended up at Rainbow Point. Here we did a short hike called the Bristle Cone Trail Loop. Here are a few photos:







We then drove back towards the Visitors Center and stopped at some scenic viewpoints, one of which was Natural Bridge:



In this photo, I feel like God is shining down on me - I think Marie has to atone for her sins - just kidding!



Although I knew the lodge restaurant was already closed for the season, the website had said Valhalla Pizza would be open. I also had read the General store would be closed. We learned that Valhalla was closed, but the General store was open. When I asked the clerk, she said, "it's the government - the websites are always wrong and they have been trying to get the website corrected. I guess government not for the win...

So after some lunch at the General Store, we decided to do the Navajo / Queen's Garden Loop which can start and end at both Sunrise and Sunset Points. Bryce Canyon is known for Hoodoos, or these formations weathered away from the wind and water. I felt like I was in a Dr. Seuss illustration! Here are some photos from our hike:

 
























Here I asked a bunch of strangers on this switchback trail to wave at me - "everybody say hi!":







 
After our hike, on our way back to Kanab, we tried to check out Coral Pink Sand Dunes State park to check out a sunset. We got a bit confused, as we overshot the Visitor Center (again), avoided deer and large strolling women, and tried to figure out if and should we pay our entrance fee.

Ultimately, we enjoyed the sunset from the car while Steven drove a loop through the park and we headed back to Kanab. Kristin and I relaxed in the Jacuzzi, and then we all went to dinner at Wild Thyme Café, who's owner was apparently divorced from the owner of the Rocking V Café - a small town restaurant rivalry!

No comments:

Post a Comment