The eldest is Yujin (유진) on the bottom right and when she studied abroad in the U.S., she crashed on my sofa and we even traveled to New Orleans together. She and I are just 10 years apart where I’m closer in age to her than her mother who is my cousin!
This morning, she insisted on coming over so we could hang out - so sweet! So Sang-nim (상님) researched a brunch spot. However, we struggled whether to have a western or Asian breakfast. - it’s so difficult to make food decisions sometimes. Ultimately we decided on 37.5, where we had pancakes, omelet, pasta, and Korean rice cake - quite the multi course and international meal! Afterwards, we had fun taking selfies and got coffee. Here are a variety of collages:
This one was put together by my talented cousin, Sang-Nim (상님):
Here are a variety of selfies, including ones of Yujin (유진) in the amazing half sauna in the apartment - we can’t get enough of the sauna:
Around 2:30 pm, my cousin Taekyu (태규) picked me up with his wife and daughter. He had made plans to take me to a private museum called the Korean Furniture Museum. On the way, he had the idea of stopping by Gyedong house - the nickname of my mom's childhood home. There are many memories and pictures of this large house that's now a convent for the Sisters of Notre Dame. It’s that big and many family members have fond memories; and although I don’t, I feel like I do having heard so many stories! Here’s a collage in front of the door:
Then we were off to the museum. My cousin was considerate enough to reserve an English guide. Apparently the prime minister of China, Brad Pitt, and others have come here which has lovely views of Nam Mountain.
We couldn't really take photos of the inside, but it was thorough and informative - the guide did a good job of explaining things, but would visibly get nervous when asked questions. At one point my cousin asked a question in English and I suggested he ask it in Korean. The furniture actually brought back memories of my grandmother and her apartment. Learning the style, traditional use, and meaning behind the pieces were well appreciated. Here are some photos:
Then we went to a café on the 2nd floor at Arario Gallery while we waited for our dinner reservations as we were early. Here’s a collage:
When it was time for our reservation, we went up to the 5th floor to the restaurant called Dining in Space, which had nice views of the city. Here, we had a 12 course meal which was thoughtful and delicious. I really get along with my cousin's family as they have been to New York twice in recent years and we all love to travel, visit museums, and discuss art. We regaled in fun travel stories and I promised to meet my niece when she studies abroad in France. I told her I’ll meet her in France or somewhere in Europe - my cousin loved the idea and being able to follow us on the blog then!
So many courses and tastings! And it’s so hard to make food decisions sometimes, as I’m here to spend time with my family, I could care less about the food (which is so unlike me). In thinking about it, my childhood memories and food experiences, probably made me the self-proclaimed foodie I am today, and always researching cool places to eat when I travel. When I came back to my cousin's apartment, I was offered more food and steak and yesterday, I was offered fried chicken. Truly, this family loves to eat and I fit just right in!
No comments:
Post a Comment