As my hotel is in the train station area, it’s really gritty and the hotel clerk advised to get to the old city along the picturesque river walk. Before going to the old city, I crossed the Holbein bridge to get to the Städel Museum. I hadn’t really planned on a museum, but decided to check it out. Here are some photos of my walk across the bridge to get to the museum:
I’m so glad that I did, as it was a small museum, but highly representative of all the famous masters and artists of the past few centuries. I got a discount due to my Frankfurt Card which also includes free transportation. However, I walked all day and it really covered my train ride from the airport to central city. The ticket lady thought for some reason I could speak German. Not sure what about me says that I can, and I was embarrassed to tell her I didn’t, but she seemed excited nonetheless. Here’s the entrance:
A few highlights from the collection...A Renoir:
Max Liebermann’s “Samson and Delilah”:
Gustave Moreau’s “Pièta”:
Max Beckmann’s “The Synagogue in Frankfurt Am Main”:
One of many Kirchner’s:
Jan Van Eyck’s “Lucca Madonna”:
A Botticelli:
A Canaletto:
Agnolo Bronzino’s “Portrait of a Red Lady”:
A Holbein altar piece which is missing the Entombment scene which was apparently lost:
Warhol’s “Goethe”:
After exiting the museum, I walked along the river walk where there was a street fair / flea market:
Then I crossed back over the river on the famous Eiserner iron bridge:
A view of the cathedral from the bridge and some love locks:
And a selfie on the bridge:
The bridge crossing brings you straight into Romerburg, the famous square with the many half-timbered houses:
I then headed to the Cathedral which apparently isn’t technically a cathedral as a bishop isn’t seated there. However, it is an honorary cathedral due to its historical importance and the place where many kings have been crowned. A look inside:
After meandering and following some tourist groups a little bit, I sat down in Paulsplatz where I enjoyed a cheeseburger and bitter lemon Schweppes for lunch. I then headed to Goethehaus, the birthplace and home of the famous German literary writer, Goethe. Here they reconstructed the home and made an adjoining museum of artwork contemporary with his time. Here’s the facade:
And “The Evening Star” by Caspar David Friedrich in the museum:
There were many Asian tourists here. Not sure if Goethe is that popular, but I did see the most Asians in one place since I’ve been in Germany! As I was whizzing through my day, I decided to rest in the auditorium space since my feet were tired, but also because there was proper air conditioning!
John and I lamented throughout our Berlin museum hopping that there was no air conditioning. As in many places in Europe, they are very energy and environmentally conscious and it’s not that hot most of the year. Although it’s been warm and sunny, my gripe has been with the stale air with so many bodies in the museum galleries - circulation is clutch!
I wandered the city, walked through many street fairs, an Indian festival, and made my way to the famous stock exchange which had the appropriate bull and bear statues:
I walked through the famous snack alley on Grosse Brockenheimer Street which is famous for food and drinks. I wasn’t particularly hungry, so I just people watched as I navigated the many benches and stalls. I ended up by the Alte Opera house, pictured below:
They were having some activities for the Fransport Skyliners basketball team, which included wheelchair basketball, music, dancing, and lots of tall people. I got a sparkling honey dew soda which was recommended by the food truck guy and watched a few drumming performances by a German drum line squad.
I then walked downtown and back to my hotel where I rested and washed up. I felt like middle eastern for some reason and the area had lots of ethnic food. So the hotel clerk recommended, Nefis Kebab House - definitely a local joint. Here’s my dinner plate with peach iced tea:
Then after dinner, I returned to my hotel, picked up my luggage, and headed early to the train station which was 2 blocks away. Here’s a photo:
Headed to Cologne for an overnight like in Frankfurt, my train took about 90 minutes. The Hilton that I reserved was again just across the street from the train station for easy in and out access. Tomorrow I explore Cologne before making my way up to Bremen!
No comments:
Post a Comment