
After breakfast, we hopped on the airport bus that took about five minutes and were at my gate in no time. My Oslo flight was supposed to leave an hour before Rachel’s to Copenhagen, but was delayed about an hour due to some mechanical issues.
At the gate, we said our goodbyes….I believe Rachel and I have properly conquered Bergen and its environs and the Norwegian coast. The Japanese practice of Shinin-yoku or “Tree bathing”, was what we aimed for where you mindfully immerse yourself in a forest or natural environment. Indeed, we were surrounded by mountains, trees, rivers, and many many fjords in the last eight days.
Tusen takk, or a “thousand thanks” to Rachel for this Norwegian adventure! Her Danish came in handy as she translated some Norwegian as the languages are so similar - she also thoughtfully translated English when needed. She also noticed in every room, we didn’t even ask each other which bed we were taking - we just defaulted to the same beds and sides we had in college. Ahhh, the comfort of just chilling and just being with the people who know you best….but now, we’re so much more middle-aged! Until next time…
My flight was just two hours and with the hot tip from the Canadians, I booked the Oslo Pass which includes transport to and from the airport, all local transportation, and a wide array of free admissions. Based upon my initial plans to visit the Munch museum, I would just break even by my estimates. But with the passing of the King, I will probably venture to more places to see the tributes and maximize the card.
The train into the city was about 25 minutes and I walked over from Oslo Central station to my hotel, called Hobo Oslo. A photo of my room which is very “Scandy” as Rachel would say:

After settling in, I headed out to explore and was right in front of the Cathedral. I had no intentions of going in, but I also understand it may be closed getting ready for the royal funeral:

Then I walked down Karl Johans Street which runs from Central Station to the Royal Palace with lots of stores and mostly pedestrian lined with flags flying at half-mast:


It passes by the Parliament building:

And several city plazas and park - the park design felt very European with promenades lined with trees:

As I started walking uphill towards the Palace, I noticed a line and decided to hop in. This was the coffin viewing line of the King who is laying in the Royal Chapel until next week’s funeral. I was told the line would be a few hours and the viewing ends at 6 pm. I figured I had plenty of time since the Munch museum closes at 9 pm and the chance to see the Royal Chapel in this ceremonial state was a rare opportunity.
The Royal Palace is known as Slottet which means ‘the Castle’. The deceased King initiated renovations and modernized it before moving here in 2001 - he previously lived at the crowned prince residence of Skaugum which is near the mountains. The public can only visit the Royal Palace for tours from June to mid-August, so I took advantage of the opportunity. A photo:

Here’s a photo of the line which actually moved relatively quickly, but I had wished I had brought one of my Trader Joe’s fruit bars. I killed time by blogging and researching more of Oslo. Also a woman nearby played a song on repeat called “This is Our King” - I could tell the Norwegians thought it was weird and the song didn’t come up in my Shazam search. A selfie with the line at the top of the hill:

And in the Royal Park that surrounds the Palace and in front of the Royal Chapel with the Royal Guards (they said I could take photos here):



After lighting real and electric candles around Norway and three hour queue, I was able to pay my direct respects. The Royal Chapel was understated and very solemn. I just remember the Brits paying their respect to Queen Elizabeth and watching folks queue for over ten hours and her grandchildren standing guard. Here, there were several good-looking military men around the coffin. After exiting the Royal Chapel, I went to the front of the palace and statue of Karl Johan to see all the flowers and remembrances:


I then headed to Sabi Sushi Vika which was about a five minute walk - we had seen several sushi places in Tromsø, and I wanted to have local salmon. There were several sushi restaurants nearby, but I picked the less expensive one and across from the Japanese embassy. It felt good to be off my feet and drinking the warm green tea. My dinner:

Although the original plan was to go to Munch Museum as it’s open until 9 pm, in finishing dinner around 8 pm, I didn’t think it was viable. So I took the #15 tram from the National Theater transit stop to Vigeland Park in Frogner Park. Multiple people told me about the “park with the heads” and it’s next to the Vigeland Museum. Although the museum was possibly on the list due to the Oslo Pass, I decided I might get museum-ed out tomorrow and the park would be sufficient.
Gustav Vigeland is Norway’s most famous sculptor and regarded for his creativity and for being prolific. He was also the designer of the Nobel Peace Prize medal.
There are several installations. As I entered I saw “The Bridge” which is lined with 58 distinct bronze sculptures capturing raw human emotions and interactions:



If others were here, I’d ask them to volunteer to pose along with the statues. The most famous is “Angry Boy” or Sinnataggen…

Next was “The Fountain” with giant bronze figures holding up a massive basin, bordered by intricate bronze tree-and-human relief groups:

Another tourist completely startled me by approaching quietly from behind. So after I took her photo, I asked her to return the favor:

Then there’s “The Monolith” or Monolitten which apparently was carved from a single block of granite featuring intertwined human figures :


At the end of the park is “The Wheel of Life”:

I then went off the main path to find this statue of Ruth Maier who was considered Norway’s Anne Frank. She was an Austrian Jew who escaped to Norway, but modeled for Vigeland and another painter before being deported. The piece itself is called “Surprised” because apparently she was trying to cover up when someone walked into the modeling session:

Then I returned to the front of the park to take the same tram back to my hotel where I was eager to lay down. I had a relatively low step count, but since I stood for three hours, I was pretty beat and wanted to rest as I’m sure the step count will be way up tomorrow for my last full day in Norway!
No comments:
Post a Comment