Thursday, February 3, 2011

Gong Xi Fa Cai!

Happy Chinese New Year!

February 2nd - I woke up and met Olive at another hawker center near her home on Adam Road. I had fishball mee puk which is a dry noodle. Delicious! And also had more pulled tea known as Teh Tarik which is becoming my favorite drink. Olive's mom was also with us for a little morning chat.

Then we walked over to the National Botanic Garden which was beautiful and well manicured. We saw turtles, walked on a reflexology path, and enjoyed being outside. An Australian 22 year old budget backpacker actually joined us as he was traveling alone. I treated him to lime juice and admission. He asked if we recently graduated from Uni and I responded "we're 30." Well I guess almost for me. Olive laughed.

In the middle is the Orchid Garden which was amazing! There were orchids named for celebrities (including Bae Yung Jun) and heads of state that had visited. Mommy would have really enjoyed the different breeds and varieties.

Then we returned to Olive's parents' place where Joe met us after his half day off from work. We then departed for Kukup which is in the Johor state in southern Malaysia. When the immigration officer asked "who's the American?" I smiled and gave a double thumbs up. ;-)


It took 1.5 hours to arrive at the home of Olive's late grandfather and eldest 2 uncles. The house is large and built fairly recently. Olive's dad is the 4th of 7 brothers and has 1 sister.

After we arrived, Olive's dad gave us a tour of the area and we went to the most southern point of continental Asia, Tanjung Piai, which is a fishing village. This came as a suggestion from Erik who has been giving Olive suggestions and tips from NY while he's busy editing for a big project.

We returned to the house for "Reunion Dinner" where we had a "steamboat" which reminds me of shabu shabu. It's an easy way to feed a lot of people and is delicious. The house wasn't decorated for the New Year holiday as the family was still mourning Olive's grandfather who passed away in June.


Reunion Dinner
We all struggled to stay up to midnight as we were stuffed with new year's cookies and cake. But we did it and walked into town where people lit so many fireworks. Usually Olive's uncles get in on the action but again they were mourning.

The interactions with Olive's family were really warm, hospitable and funny. When they asked me about my connection, I would say "I went to Uni with Olive and Erik and was Erik's flatmate." I think my Singalese and lingo is improving. They love Korean dramas, one auntie wants to learn Korean, envy Korean looks / fads, several have been to Cheju-do, and one 18 year old cousin wants to marry a Korean. Olive's 2nd aunt who can't speak English told one of Olive's cousins that I must definitely be Korean because I'm so pale. ;-)

February 3rd - New Year's morning I received so many red envelopes called Hong Bao. Each filled with about 10 Sing dollars or Malaysian Ringgit. They were all so sweet. Olive's 6th uncle even came and knocked on my door and I thought it was Olive but once he started saying my name I was so surprised. He was taking a break from gardening / mowing the lawn. All the brothers help take care of the house.

Also during our stay, we could hear the call to prayer from the local mosque. The call was very soothing and reminds you that you are no longer in Singapore but in a muslim country.

We then walked into town which is 5 minutes away to see the shophouse. Olive's grandfather use to run it and now the 2 eldest uncles manage it. It's the town's general store filled with sundries. The 2nd floor is where Olive's father grew up and the shop is where they use to have reunion dinner. It reminded of me old Korean stores that had the waft of dried cuttlefish. We also saw the local temple that Olive's grandfather help renovate - Olive said he was a local philanthropist and did much for the community.

Then off we went to Olive's aunt's house for lunch as she spent reunion dinner with her husband's side. Only about 20 km away but on the way I realized I didn't have my blackberry and we had to go back. I was mortified - I had left it on the coffee table the night before and left it when I went out for fireworks. I couldn't call it either as I wasn't getting any service in Kukup. Luckily 5th auntie found it and brought it to the lunch.

After a delicious briyani and pork soup lunch, Joe and I departed back to Singapore. We rested and then went out for drinks at a rooftop bar called Ku De Ta which is on top of the newly built Marina Bay Sands Casino. If you are a foreigner you can go in for free, but if you are Singaporean or permanent resident you have to pay $100. Gotta love the sin tax.
Rooftop Bar, Ku De Ta
We later met Joe's friends on Club Street at a bar called Ying Yang. Not many places were opened on the New Year holiday.

We returned home and headed to bed. Hope New Year celebrations are great at church!

No comments:

Post a Comment