Sunday, February 6, 2011

Ubud

February 6th - I'm definitely getting use to bungalow living and the creatures that share it with me. I share my bathroom with a massive spider / tarantula and cockroach. I don't even scream anymore when I see them. I have become one with nature. ;-)

I woke up to a breakfast of fresh fruit, mixed fruit juice, tea, and a chicken porridge called Bubur Ayam. The porridge was quite delicious.

Then I booked my free Balinese massage. 2 women worked me over for an hour and I smelled like rose oil and looked oily all day. Absolutely relaxing!

Lynne met me at my hotel and we headed to the Monkey Forest nearby. There is a sacred temple inside and the monkeys are very revered. These monkeys were super smart and will crawl all over you if you feed them.

We then headed to Babi Guling Ibu Oka for some traditional Balinese pork. They roast only a few pigs a day and in the special, you get some sausage, fried pork, pork loin, and fried skin! Yum! Believe that Anthony Bourdain visited here as well.

We then crossed the street and saw the City Palace which seemed to be getting ready for some celebrations.

The afternoon was filled with walking in and out of shops and galleries in Ubud. I eventually walked home and went for a dip in the pool.

I met Lynne later at Bebek Bengil also known as Dirty Duck. The setting was surrounded by rice paddies in this very large, but serene restaurant. We both had "the original crispy duck". The restaurant name comes from the fact when the restaurant construction was near completion, some ducks came in from the nearby rice paddies and ran all over the restaurant. Also, I learned today that the owner of my hotel, Agung Raka bungalows, owns this restaurant and therefore got a 10% discount. And I had picked this restaurant from my guidebook! Cyn for the win!

After sharing a pitcher of bintang beer and stories, Lynne and I parted ways. She'll continue to stay in Ubud while I head to the western coast and surfer / trendy / backpacker beach in Kuta.

My last night in a bungalow and my first day of scuba tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment