Friday, September 2, 2022

Just Maui’ed

In the hotel lobby, there’s a lovely flower arrangement and I decided to add to my collection of pretty flower pictures. We’ve been teased on this trip for taking pictures of Hawaiian flowers like old ladies. I feel pretty secure about it considering I’m one of the youngest and as I embrace my 40s:



This morning I drove back down to Lahaina to go to the Extended Horizons dive shop where I had booked two shore dives. Shore dives, although very easy and simple, was a good way to get back in the water as I hadn’t dove for 3 years. Another option from another dive shop today was a hammerhead shark dive out on a boat charter, and I thought that would be a bit too hard and intimidating, although probably fascinating.

Gabi was assigned to me as my divemaster guide and is a Brazilian from Arizona. After preparing all the equipment, we drove to Kahekili Beach Park which was near the Westin. Here’s a photo of the beach and where we enter:



She provided a thoughtful orientation as I got used to all the equipment and communication signals and then we headed in. I needed a little extra weight to descend, but was able to last a 50 minute dive as I was afraid I would suck all my air. On the second dive, we were under for 53 minutes and went out a little further on the reef. I think I had too much weight at that point, because I had to work a little harder to rise and I think I was more used to my buoyancy skills on the second dive. We didn’t go deeper than 35 feet as we were just looking at coral near the shore. However, I saw a ton of fish and Gabi had a slate with her where she wrote all the species we were seeing.

Across the two dives, we saw Ornate Butterflyfish, Racoon Butterflyfish, Moorish Idol, Hawaiian Dascyllus, Manybar and Yellow Stripe Goatfish, Bullethead Parrotfish, Redlip Parrotfish, turtles, Moray Eel, Hawaiian Whitespotted Toby, Grouper, Brown Surgeonfish, Yellow Tang, Orangeband Surgeonfish, Lei Triggerfish, Reef Triggerfish, Belted Wrasse, Saddle Wrasse, Bird Wrasse, Hawaiian Cleaner Wrasse, Eightstripe Wrasse, Trumpetfish, Cornetfish, Black Durgon, Sea Cucumber, Christmas Tree Worm, Slugs, and Nudi branch eggs of Spanish dancer.

It was fun to see the fish swimming, resting, or getting cleaned at the cleaning station. But the highlights were the two turtles - one resting on the reef and another swimming nearby and the Reef Triggerfish. This fish is the state fish of Hawaii and in Hawaiian is Humuhumunukunukuapua'a. A googled photo here for reference:



Unfortunately, I have never invested in underwater camera equipment. If someone else on the dive takes photos, I ask for them, but as a relative beginner, I prefer to be hands free and focus on my own diving equipment, versus trying to get the photo for Instagram. Here’s are the orientation guides with the photos:





Afterwards I sat on the beach and dried up before heading to Roy’s in Kaanapali which is owned by the famous restauranteur, Roy Yamaguchi. He helped advance the regional Hawaiian cuisine movement and retains control of all the Hawaiian locations. Apparently his mainland locations have changed hands several times. I ordered a nonalcoholic citrus basil punch, blackened island ahi sashimi, misoyaki butterfish, and a chocolate ganache dessert overlooking the golf course:



After lunch I headed back to the Ritz where I rested and sat by the pool. Unfortunately, it started to rain, not heavily, but it was pretty humid.



Today’s big event was the wedding of my colleague Mindy. Another colleague of mine, Kevin and his wife Adrienne came to Hawaii as well. I told Kevin we’re Mindy’s wingmen as our offices literally sandwich her.

The entire wedding was supposed to be outside, but during the break in the rain, we had the ceremony only outside and then moved the reception inside. The reception and dinner were delicious. It was also very Hawaiian with macadamia nut ice cream and shaved ice at the dessert station. The night was filled with lots of dancing, including all the BTS English songs and then an after party in one of the hotel bars. Some photos below of the wedding and beautiful bride:











I was able to enjoy a drink at the after party, but headed back to my room relatively early as I was sleepy from my early morning scuba. 

It was so fun to see Mindy get married and after hearing about all the planning! I’m also excited to celebrate it again at the Chinese banquet back in New York this fall. Congratulations Mindy and Louis! And thank you for planning a wonderful few days for all your guests!

No comments:

Post a Comment