Our just under 15 hour flight was a little turbulent but we had been upgraded to Comfort Plus seats with empty middle seats, so generally the travel was comfortable. I was also startled when the attendant wanted to thank me for my status which I forget about sometimes. After chatting up my seat-mate who is doing a rotational program here with Microsoft, I took a few shots of the sunny skies of Johannesburg as we approached:
After immigration, my luggage came out pretty quickly as Amanda packed light with a carryon and we hustled to the rental car / bus terminal area where our hotel shuttle was just arriving. I had booked us at the Protea O.R. Tambo Hotel. Protea is a local chain owned by Marriott and O.R. Tambo is the name of the international airport named after an anti-apartheid politician. They do have a transit hotel within the airport complex, but it was sold out.
After a 9 minute ride, we were at our hotel that fully embraced the airplane and airport theme and we were checked in. We stay here one night to get our bearings after the long flight, but we head back to the airport tomorrow morning to head to Victoria Falls.
We showered and headed downstairs to the hotel restaurant for dinner where I had a local beer called Castle and chicken curry, while Amanda ordered a cream soda that was surprisingly green and a rump steak. A collage below:
We then settled in for the night to get a comfortable sleep in a bed after the long plane ride!
No comments:
Post a Comment