Before leaving, the hotel sold me an all day bus pass for ¥500 as Kyoto has an extensive bus network. A block from my hotel, I grabbed a bus to northwest Kyoto to visit the most famous zen garden in the world at Ryoan-ji Temple. Here I had to take off my shoes for some beige slippers and enjoyed looking at the rocks. Apparently there are 15, but at only one given time you can see 14. Once you've reached enlightenment, you're supposed to see all 15. I guess I wasn't enlightened, but it was calming and I could feel my blood pressure coming down.
I walked through the complex and around this pond which is known for their ducks. Again, I'm supposed to meditate during these strolls, but all I could think about was my giant wedgie - I had worn many layers to brave the colder weather and they were bunching!
On the road, I picked up another bus to Kinkaku-ji temple, or the Golden Pavilion. As I entered, some tourists were fighting with some guard - pretty awkward when the guard lunges for the male. I hadn't seen anyone lose their cool here, especially in these meditative environments so it was a bit odd.
Nonetheless, the pavilion and the surrounding pond was beautiful. Apparently various rocks were placed in the water and again, we are meant to be contemplative:
After a walk through the complex, I exited to the main road and waited for a tourist bus called Raku. My pass works on it and it specifically makes a loop pass all the famous sites.
I crossed town on the bus to visit Ginkaku-ji temple, which is the Silver Pavilion. But before heading in, I knew I would get hungry by the end of it. So I found Omen Noodles which was highly recommend by my Lonely Planet guide. They specialize in noodles that you dip into a sauce served with seasonal vegetables and sesame seeds you can put in the subtle broth to your liking. I got the noodles with tempura lunch set and it was all delicious.
Full from lunch, I headed into the temple which was lovely with zen gardens and views of the city:
At the bottom of the hill from the temple was Philosopher's Path that leads you to Honen Temple. A famous philosopher used to walk this stretch and it's supposed to be beautiful during cherry blossom season:
By this time, it was about 2 pm and I had 2 more places I wanted to visit. Although Kiyomizudera was more convenient, it stays open until later, so I opted to bus it to Nijo-jo Castle, famous for where the Tokugawa shogun family lived before they handed over control to the Emperor which led to the Meiji Restoration.
I'm glad I had decided on this order as they were only accepting entrance until 3 pm. The castle had beautiful gates, surrounded by walls and moats, and beautiful gardens:
Then I went back to Kiyomizudera Temple via bus. To get to the temple, like many, there was a shopping street up a long hill. Apparently this one is called Teacup Lane. At the top, there is a massive complex with the main hall going under an exterior renovation:
Here, there’s a famous pair of stones that if you walk successfully to the other one with your eyes closed, your wishes in love will come true. If you’re guided, then you will need help in love. Here’s one of the stones:
There were shrines everywhere and I made a wish at one that was especially for one that helped grant ladies' wishes.
At this point of the complex, folks lined up as drinking the water will evidently bring you good health:
I guess it should considering they have this ultraviolet machine to kill germs. I didn't drink straight from the cup, but wondered if the Buddhists many years ago envisioned the ultraviolet machine especially designed for these cups!
Then I headed down the hill and perused some stores. You can kind of see the crowds in the photo:
At the bottom, I hopped into a matcha café and had some sweets with my tea and to rest my back and feet:
Afterwards, I headed to Gion, the famous district of Geishas and walked up and down Hanami-dori street, famous for the restaurants lined with lanterns:
And then Shinbashi street which was very lovely and had antique stores as noted by my guidebook:
I then walked over to Pontocho street, again famous for restaurants and bars where geishas entertained. I didn't see any geishas who apparently go to gig to gig in this neighborhood. If I did see one, I would have qualms about taking their photo like a paparazzi when they are just trying to get to work. Here’s a photo of the narrow street, again lined with lanterns:
Still not hungry, I walked down Shio Dori street which was lined with western stores and luxury goods, and of course a Starbucks. There was a massive Takashimaya department store which reminds me of the one on 5th Avenue.
I needed to take the bus back to my ryokan, so after locating the bus stop, I turned off to a side road and found a small restaurant. A lot of the restaurants here offer expensive beef or kaiseki meals which are very elaborate multi course meals. I was not in the mood for either so I ordered fried chicken and beer:
After dinner, I waited for the bus and headed back to the hotel to rest my back and feet, as I was all temple-d out!
No comments:
Post a Comment